Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Slums

The other day a couple of us went for a walk through the slums near where the ship is berthed. Located under a bridge over pass the homes had electricity and running water, others were mere shacks put together with scrap wood. I had flash backs of when I was in Peru and our team distributed food to similar communities that lived under a bridge in Lima. These pictures I've posted really don't do the area justice. It was an eye opening experience for me as I hadn't yet ventured into the slums. I'm blown away to see how much Bangkok has developed since my first visit to the city many years ago.















Though parts of the city have become gentrified the slums are still quite prevalent throughout. A mother bathed her baby in a wooden crate on the side of the road.


An emaciated man walked along the train tracks looking for scrap wood. His sunken eyes revealed deep sadness. I felt helpless as I knew there was nothing we could do in our short time here. I hope and pray the permanent missionaries, NGOs and outreaches would help alleviate some of the poverty in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment