Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Great Adventure...

What:
This summer I'm participating on a short term volunteer exposure program to southeast Asia with a non-profit chairty organization from July 15-Sept 20. The non-profict organizes outreach projects invarious parts of the world. Each year thousands of volunteers from different countries participate to bring help, hope and knowledge.

What I will do:
I will be participating in a ships program that sails to ports around the world. With the world's second largest on board book shop, the ships distribute educational literature to regions that might not otherwise have the opportunity to receive such materials. After a brief cross-cultural orientation and training, I will be working with a team of 300 other volunteers from over 40 countries. Five days a week I will have a job helping maintain the ship's ministry by working in the kitchen, engine room, deck or book shop. The other two days will be devoted to ministry training and various outreach projects. I could be involved with literature distribution, children's ministry, disaster relief and many more outreach activities!

Why Me:
In '04 and '05 I participated in two short term missions trips to Lima Peru. Our team worked in a shelter for homeless street boys. The two weeks we spent working there changed my life and forever shaped my world view. Since then, I volunteered regularly in an arts outreach in New York and have felt called to try out more short term opportunities to serve those in need around the world. After much time and prayer I decided to step out on a leap a faith and sign up for this ships program.

This trip will help me understand outreach better and will be a spiritually challenging experience as I work with a highly diverse team. Please pray for my safety, health, as well as the courage to share my faith, and step out of my comfort zone.

I'll have very limited access to the internet but I'm hoping to keep this blog updated about once a week. I'm looking forward to sharing my experience with you so check back for updates. Thank you all for your support!

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment