Friday, July 31, 2009

Journey to Bangkok

On Tuesday, July 29th we departed Sihanoukville, Cambodia to sail to Bangkok, Thailand. I was sad to leave Cambodia and I missed our local volunteers that had been so great to us on the ship. We sailed for one day and during our journey we had to break down the bookshop. All the shelves had to be moved to the center of the shop and covered up to keep the books dry in the event of a storm or a rough ride. After we wrapped that stuff up I was able to enjoy the ride. All of the ships vans had been raised up by crane and put up onto the car deck the night before. I went out to the car deck to scope out the wide open horizon.
For one day we sailed along the Cambodian and Thai coast. Around mid day on Monday a bunch of us had to go to the book hold in the bottom of the ship to pack up books being sent to our sister ship in the Caribbean. We sent several hundred boxes up to the deck to be hauled off once we arrived in the port. The only bummer part of it was that we were unable to see our arrival. Generally when the ship comes into port people wave their home country flags to show our international community on board.

My cabin is in the bow of the ship so all night we were feeling the waves. It was cool to hear the waves crashing up along side of our wall. I listened to some music to try and distract myself from the movement but eventually I got used to it and I didn't get sea sick.

We maneuvered up a industrial canal, passing Thai tankers and Navy ships. Pulling into port we arrived around 4pm on Wednesday. I was really looking forward to all the possible outreach opportunities here in Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment