Thursday, July 23, 2009

Work

I've been assigned to work in the ship's bookshop- a floating Barnes and Noble of sorts with all kinds of Christian and education material. Literature distribution is the ship's biggest outreach project. On board we have over half a million books with over 60,000 titles. Visitors come on board to purchase books, take tours of the ship and get affordable meals.

Today was a busy day. I worked at the ticket booth, crowd control, and restocking the shelves of the books. At one point I had to be a human gate in order to prevent people from running onto the ship. Apparently they don't believe in queuing up in Cambodia. I also greeted people in their native language (Kmer) by bowing and saying “johm reep soo uh” ( which means, hello) and counting the number of vistors. At the end of the day we had over 3000 people come, and that was a slow day. On a good day they can have about 8-9000 visitors, sometimes up to 20,000. The past couple days have been slow though due to the rain. I'm hoping more people will come out before we leave the port next week. Since the ship began is operations, 21 million people have come on board world wide.

While my duties are seemingly small, I definitely feel like I'm part of something much bigger than myself which is ultimately helping people here in their local communities. I feel really excited to be apart of this incredible operation.

4 comments:

  1. great to keep in contact through this blog Ryan. know that my prayers are with you.
    Kaleb

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go! God's good servant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete